jbird minestrone soup
It's October and the weather is getting cooler, at least in some places. Here in South Carolina it's still pretty warm during the day, but soup is always a good option for dinner. I like to make a big pot of soup on the weekend for meals during the week. It's a quick fix if you get home from work or the gym late and just don't have time or the energy to cook a meal.
This simple minestrone soup is easy to make and, as most of my recipes, easy to modify. The recipe calls for white beans and I have used both Lima beans and Great Northern Beans - both are good. The pasta can be any variety you like, but I find a smaller shape is best (small shells, rotini, etc.) You can also leave out the pasta and add an ancient grain like Barley or Bulgar.
We think this soup is best when made a few days ahead of time. It's easy to keep it oil free by sauteing the veggies in water instead of oil.
Jbird Minestrone Soup
2 quarts ( 8 cups ) vegetable broth
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (we like fire roasted)
1 large onion diced
4 - 5 carrots diced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
cooked (or canned) white beans - 3 1/2 cups (2 cans)
8 oz frozen peas
1 cup of bite size pasta
salt and pepper to taste
1) In a small saucepan, just cover the diced carrots with water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes.
2) In your soup pot, saute the onions in water (about 1/4 cup adding more as needed), until soft. Add the carrots and the carrot water to the onions.
3) Add the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and saute for about a minute.
4) Add all other ingredients.
5) Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, partially cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this soup!
12/15/2019 06:42:48 pm
This soup is definitely one of the most simplest, but the best soups that I have had. Well, I understand that simplicity is part of its selling product. I hope that I get to eat more of this in the future, that is for sure. I will try to go and make my own version of this, and it would make me happy if you can try it for me. I hope that I can make you proud with my cooking
Leave a Reply.
Check in often for upcoming events, news, recipes and more.